Friday 6 August 2010

Day 3 and lots done

Day three of the recent "spurt" saw lots accomplished.

My plan today was to cut, prep and paint as much as possible early on in the day, so I can get some more of the final thing assembled.  The more this starts to look like the finished job, the more motivation I have to finish it.

The monitor I have is 17" and is that standard "computer monitor grey" colour, so I'm going to need to paint the bezel black so that grey bits aren't showing through the front of the machine.  Try as I might, I can't dismantle it to remove the bezel and paint it, so I've had to carefully mask out the screen and paint the whole thing - only need to do the front as it's the only part to be seen.

Took one of the off-cuts and will build the speaker panel from it.  Offered it up on the top of the monitor panel, marked it out, drew a speaker mesh pattern and drilled it, and also trimmed up another off-cut for the final "roof" of the whole machine.  This is a picture of the monitor and 2 speaker panels with the first coat of MDF primer on the woodwork:



With all these panels painted and dry, I turn my attention to fitting the monitor into the monitor panel.  I'm a fan of the cable-tie-mounts I've used in the past, so will be using these again - search the blog for details of the mounts if interested.

A couple at each corner, eight in total, like this:



Heavy duty cable ties, all trimmed up nicely and it should look something like this:



You'll notice I've put a couple of braces across the back of this section, just to strengthen it.  Pop it back on the control & case sections:



My 80's nostalgia gland is starting to twitch!

Last job of the day is to smash carefully dismantle an old pair of speakers ready for fitting their guts into the speaker panel - I'm using the cheapest set I have, as my memories of sound quality in arcade machines are pretty horrendous, and we do have to try and keep this thing authentic, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment