Tuesday 5 February 2008

Get up, you lazy monkey!

To start the day off, a quick trip to Screwfix to pickup some magnetic catches.

Magnetic Catches

I've had a "light-bulb moment" over the easy access to controls by making the vent panel held in place by the kinds of magnetic catches that hold AV unit doors closed. a few of these in the right place, and the panel will hold firm, but will simply lift off with a bit of leverage to allow for quick easy access to the inside top controls - more on this in the post where I build that panel.

After an unproductive weekend (where the cab is concerned) I picked myself up and put a couple of hours in this morning - I built the panel that sits underneath the marquee between marquee and speaker panel. This took longer than anticipated for a couple of reasons. My table saw didn't come with a bench to raise it to a workable level, so I built one. Unfortunately, I accidentally built my bench with a support brace across the front, thus rendering the "tilt" mechanism (setting an angle on the cutting blade) unusable. So this morning's first task was to modify the table saw to reactivate the angle facility.

Once I'd fixed the saw, I tilted the blade to 45 degrees, cut one side of a panel at 45 to meet the 45 tilt on the speaker panel, then offered up to the cabinet, and marked the length. Back to the saw, swing the blade back up to 90 degrees and cut the panel to length. I used the router to round over the lower edge under the marquee so that, when finished, all four sides of the marquee will have their outer edges rounded - a nice effect I think.

Under Panel Profile

Currently it's held in place with some clamps:

Under Panel from UnderneathI need to be careful now as most of the remaining panels will need to be painted all together - I'm wasting far too many paint accessories painting one panel at a time. So for now, it'll stay with the clamps and for the next stage, I'll move onto the "above the marquee" panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment