Friday 1 February 2008

Speaker Panel - Electronics

After lunch yesterday I set about the speaker electronics.

I have a bunch of speaker "guts" that I ripped (carefully of course) from a cheap (fiver ($10)) set of speakers I got from eBay.

Speaker Bits

On the inside of the speaker panel, I mounted the odd shaped speakers as close to centre of the "speaker holes" I cut in the panel, with a few 1/2" (12mm) screws - I almost burst through the facing surface with one screw tip so I was very careful with the rest.

Speaker Panel - Speakers Mounted

I've had a real debate with myself about the speaker controls - there are going to be times when I want to adjust, as a minimum, the volume if not the bass/treble, so how can I get at the controls without compromising the semi-authentic look I am going for?

I could cut a little hole in the speaker panel and adjust the volume with a small screwdriver, I could mount the speaker controls on the top or back, etc.

I've decided that I'll mount the controls on the back of the speaker panel, and access them through the "vent panel" (to be constructed) and somehow make the vent panel "quick release" - by doing this, I can also put the controls for the marquee backlight here and access those too - maybe even the USB ports I intend to install, although I still think I want those more accessible - a decision for another day.

So the controls and the AC/DC transformer are mounted in the centre of the inside of the speaker panel. One concern I have is the heat generated by the transformer - these do get warm and I've mounted it in direct contact with wood - not inspiring. I'll keep an eye on this and run the speakers for several hours - if I'm concerned enough I'll drop a little metal panel between the transformer and the wood. I sense this is more likely than less, as I'm not keen an explaining to the wife why and how the house burnt down.

Speaker Panel - Mounted Guts

You'll see that I had to cut plenty of wires to get the "guts" out of the speakers, as such, there is now plenty of soldering and repairing of cut wires, and a tidy up job on the wiring using my handy cable tie mounts.

Speaker Panel - Wired and Tidied

Hook it up to my iPod for a quick test - works first time, no crackling or interference. An unexpected but not unpleasant effect is that the sound is a little muffled at a distance and at angles if the listener is not directly under the angled speaker cutouts, but perfectly clear and sparkly directly undernearth - this seems very reminiscent of my childhood memories of arcade machine sounds so I'm not unhappy at all.

THE REAL TEST!

Now that I have the speakers, monitor, and controls all working, time for a "REAL" test - I hook up the cables to my "as yet unmodified (as in, still in it's pale cream case)" PC and run the latest version of my gMame interface software available at sourceforge (for those joining us late, I'm writing my own interface software in Java as well as constructing the cabinet) - it's all working beautifully, and using the arcade controls with my software is working really well.

I'm a very happy bunny at this stage. The only panels left are non-electronic ones, except for the panel that will house the reconstructed PC, and I hope to make a start on them the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I had fun reading this post. I want to see more on this subject.. Gives Thanks for writing this pleasant article.. Anyway, I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks - more soon...

    ReplyDelete