Thursday 24 January 2008

Arcade Control Panel - Part 1 - Woodwork

So here we are.

My joysticks and buttons have arrived from eBay (many thanks to Andy @ GremlinSolutions for the excellent buttons) so it's time to get down to building the control panel. I chose this panel first, as I think this is one of the most complex parts of the beast.

See my earlier postings on design (under the Early Thoughts tag) for my sizing and reasons for sizing, etc.

The process:

  1. cut the perspex to size - a table saw helps

  2. cut the MDF to size - a table saw helps

  3. clamp them togetherControl Panel 1

  4. mark out the player 1 control layout

  5. drill the player 1 control layout - a bench drill helps - my freehand drilling isn't accurate enoughControl Panel 2

  6. copy the layout onto the player 2 side

  7. drill the player 2 control layout

  8. DO THIS DIFFERENTLY - I'm not 100% happy about my control panel - when you look at the finished article, player 2's controls are far too close to the right hand side of the cabinet for my liking, and player 1's start too far in from the left hand side - I'd have tried to centre them better next time around, inside of striking a line in the middle and copying one side to the other

  9. prep the MDF for painting - light sanding and a coat of MDF primer/sealer

  10. paint the MDF - foam roller and matt black for me - spray paint if you prefer, but I think it's too expensive for this job

  11. paint it again

  12. remove the perspex protective plastics

  13. install the joysticks and buttonsControl Panel 4

  14. go all funny/nostalgic inside looking at it



Control Panel 3

3 comments:

  1. Michael Clemons9 July 2009 at 19:52

    I'm trying to put out my own game that I developedin a coin-operated console . How do I go about doing this??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat. I'm making a toy helicopter ride for my son and I think I'll use the same methods for the control panel. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to see your work - thought about blogging it? Or share some pictures somewhere?

    Thanks so much for the contribution.

    ReplyDelete