Friday 18 January 2008

Get your head straight!

I'm one of these people that carries about 100 thoughts around in my head at one time. 100 balls in the air, if you'll permit me. As such, organising these into any kind of structure to talk to someone else about, is one of the hardest parts of my life.

Take this arcade machine project for example.

Let me throw down on the page all the thoughts I have on the subject (please forgive this indulgence, I will try to clarify as many of these as possible in later posts (I hope))

The balls:
size, shape, colour, materials, cost, where the wife will let me keep it, when the wife will let me work on it, control mechanisms, where to get a keyboard-to-arcade-controls "black box" from and how to use it, where to get arcade controls from, how to connect them together, where to get the software from to run the games, whether i can get open source software for the project to do the job well enough, angles of panels and how they fit together, ergonomics, the order of construction, how will i share (how i will find the time to share) all this hard work so that it's not just a personal indulgence, keeping within the legal boundaries where "roms" are concerned, authenticity vs. usability

I'm sure there are more balls that i've dropped at the moment, but if you're starting down this path, try to answer as many of the above as possible before you get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment