Saturday 20 March 2010

A lot of time and patience

I was watching the footy (the Wolves winning for once) on the telly with Dad, so decided to be productive as well. I know you can buy some wire for pennies, but I have a load of cat5 cable lying around from a previous job, and I thought, "I'm sure that stripped out cat5 would be perfect as the cabling for the control panel" - so I spent the next 90 minutes shouting at the telly, and stripping/cutting a bunch of cat5.

An hour's soldering later (to solder on the female crimp connectors to slot onto the micro-switches) and I end up with this:

[caption id="attachment_210" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="wiring 1"]wiring 1[/caption]

I've daisy-chained all the ground wire together as there is only 1 ground screw connector on the IPAC to screw it into.

I know it's messy, and I'll tidy it up at some point, but this was the inside - just player 1 wired up for testing/debugging (i.e. finding that I'd wired the wrong wire into the connector block) :

[caption id="attachment_213" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="wiring: inside - early"]wiring: inside - early[/caption]

That night, while the kids were asleep, I wired up 2UP, screwed the IPAC down, and tested it out on the 5 year old in the morning:

[caption id="attachment_212" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="his first test"]his first test[/caption]

As you can see, all good.

I now have to resist the temptation to leave the project for a bit - as you can see, it works, so I need to push on and make the rest of the cabinet - work's looking busy though - no idea when I'll have some more time????

2 comments:

  1. Excellent work with the cat5. They're cheap and color coded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so too. Makes sense to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete