Friday 12 March 2010

The Overall Design

I'm still trying to save a bit of space in the house - where I live isn't a massive place, and I'm still as keen this time to produce something that will fit on a wall or in a corner without looking like it needs a quarter of a room all to itself.  With that in mind, I've got some rough ideas about dimensions that I'd like to try and stick to.

Height - 6' - I'm several inches shy of 6' myself, and my recent memories are all of machines that are "a bit" taller than me - six foot seems about right - it's not overbearing but will have a presence.

Width - 30" - most interior doors are little wider than 30", so I'm happy that I'll be able to get it in and out of rooms without needing to take doors off hinges.  30" seems to be about right for two people to stand fairly close to one another and player 2UP games - just need to make sure the deodorant is to had for those friends who over-indulge in Street Fighter II.

Depth - 16" (at the widest point) - now I know what you're thinking (or what you should be thinking) - that's very slim for an arcade machine.  Well I did say that I didn't want it to dominate a room.  The 16" is at the widest point of the control panel, so when you think that the monitor and PC bit shouldn't be much deeper than 8", this machine will look like it has an eating disorder.  I have some ideas about the PC construction that should make this very conservative estimate realistic in terms of depth usage.  I do have some "tipping over" concerns, but with some weights and perhaps wall attachments, this might just do the trick.  This is what I'm aiming for - maybe I'll need to put a little weight on later in the construction, but I'm hopeful that this'll be about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment