Friday 12 March 2010

Thinking in Boxes

I have some different ideas about construction this time round.

Recently, I'm thinking very much modularly than I ever have - it's been useful at work, and I find modularity spilling out into all facets of my life.

For example, with the arcade machine, I'm thinking of building the core parts in a modular fashion, so that the control panel is an independent, discrete unit, the monitor panel is an independent discrete unit, and the PC (or whatever it may become) is a discrete part.

Last time, I tried to build one overall unit, and trying to hold monitors and control panels in place whilst I screwed the sides on was tricky to say the least.

The advantages of modular are many, but primarily I'm thinking about:

  1. ease of construction - each part can be made and tested separately then all bolted together at the end

  2. ease of maintenance - I can pop out a part, replace / upgrade / repair and pop back in

  3. ease of transport - breaking it into parts and shipping it between locations is easier that hoofing a 6'x3'x3' box into and out of vans

  4. and so on...

No comments:

Post a Comment