Sunday 14 March 2010

Sunday

Sunday afternoon has been productive, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Here's another sketch of the control panel section.



[caption id="attachment_142" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="control panel sketch"]control panel sketch[/caption]

I've been back to B&Q today to look at their MDF - I think I used 12mm last time, and had an issue when it came to mounting the joysticks. I remember that the screws that mounted the joystick underneath the panel started to come through the top surface ever so slightly.

So I'm going to go with the 18mm - more expensive, and the final product will be significantly heavier, but I think it's the tight thing to do. I've recalculated the sizes based on 18mm and I think I've got it right. Apologies for mixing imperials and metrics, but it's how I work.

I have sourced the piano hinges for the control panel and the main computer section today - £2.19 each from Wickes is an absolute bargain.

Also, I've picked up a pack of 50 corner brackets for £1.99 from Screwfix to connect the MDF panels together.

[caption id="attachment_147" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="angle brackets"]angle brackets[/caption]

Last time, I used 1" sq. strips of wood along each face, which contributed to the lack of space inside the case for the controls - plus it was a lot more cutting and drilling, etc. These little brackets should save a lot of time and effort connecting panels.

Tomorrow I hope to pick up some MDF and if I've got time, cut the panels for the control section.

Cost so far = £61.38
IPAC VE - £30
ROMS - £5
Buttons and Joysticks - £20.01
Piano Hinges - £4.38
Corner Brackets - £1.9

No comments:

Post a Comment